- Everyone’s familiar with the term bandwagon I’m sure. It’s a particular activity or cause that has suddenly become fashionable or popular. It seems like people are seeing others go “natural” so they think “I might as well jump on the bandwagon and go “natural” as well.” But being “natural” isn’t a fad, it’s a way of life. So many people think they want to be “natural” without even realizing or knowing what it takes to be “natural”. No I’m not saying I’m a “natural” expert because I’m not. I’m just saying before you ‘hop on that bandwagon’, make sure you know what you’re hopping into. Like I mentioned in a previous post, being “natural” is way harder than not being “natural”.
- Tips/questions you need to know/ask yourself before you hop on the bandwagon (no being “natural” isn’t a bandwagon, but people look at it like it is so I’m using the term)
- Be patient (especially if you’re thinking about transitioning or doing the big chop, your hair will grow it will just take time)
- Are you willing to spend numerous amount of dollars on products? (Depending on what products you use, be prepared to spend $20-$30 if not more)
- This goes with #2, are you going to be okay with spending your money on products and then realizing it doesn’t work for your hair?
- Washing/styling your hair will take time. Do you have the time to care and do your hair? (Most people wear protective styles to protect their hair, but also because they don’t want to deal with their “natural” hair)
- Just because a product worked for someone else’s hair, doesn’t mean it will work for your hair
- Yes her wash and go or twist/braid out is poppin, but are you willing to put in the effort to make yours?
- Consistency is key. You will need to develop a hair regimen and stick with it.
- Don’t go “natural” because you like someone’s hair, or because someone else did it.
These are just some of the tips/questions I feel you should know before you make the decision to go “natural”. Personally, I love my hair and being “natural”. The reason being is because when you love something, you take care of it.
Feel free to comment your thoughts or if I left any tips/questions out.
Thanks for reading xoxo